Monday, February 8, 2010

Feb. 8 Preschool 3's & 4's

Letter P
This week we read stories about pockets and pigs. The 3's read "If You Give a Pig a Pancake" by Laura Numeroff. A great way to increase early literacy skills for your child is to ask them questions about the story (before, during or after the story) or else to have them help you retell the story. I used flannel pieces to have the children help me tell the story after we read it. I am always amazed how much they remember of the story. The 4's read "A Pocket for Corduroy" by Don Freeman. It is important for young children to be exposed to new words- research shows that it is easier for children to read words they have already heard. In this book there were several unfamilar words- we talked about the words "laundromat", "damp", and "drowsy". After the story I put on an apron and they guessed what was in the pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment